Monday, March 7, 2011

The Staples of an Italian Pantry

I haven't gone grocery shopping in at least a month, maybe longer. I'm digging through my pantry and become extremely grateful that I'm Italian and my mother raised me to appreciate a few things that can make a perfect meal...or at least a delicious meal. First and foremost, no kitchen in general is not complete unless you have extra virgin olive oil (also known as EVOO--Racheal Ray). Heat some EVOO in a sautee pan. Next, you chop up some garlic and toast it in the EVOO. Once you garlic is browned, toss in some pasta (already cooked--I try and keep some in the fridge at all times). Sprinkle in some kosher salt and cracked black pepper. I like to finish it off with some basil or oregano. Now, if you're lucky, you'll have purchased some type of protein and stuck it in the freezer for a rainy day. I had shrimp. And some green beans. It turned out to be pretty delicious. So let's recap: EVOO, garlic, pasta, salt and pepper, basil and/or oregano. OH! My mom would give me the look if I didn't mention one last staple, SAUCE! For those of you who aren't familiar, sauce is Italian for tomato sauce, homemade if you can. I heart my heritage and love exploring what it has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment